July 11, 2011

Monday Moments: UK style


It's been a little bit since we've had some awkwards and awesomes, huh? So, I've been taking some notes since Ireland, and I have a few to share with you.

Awkward:

  • In Ireland, the 'th' sound doesn't exist. So, we met at "Tree tirty at St. Patrick caTEEdral".
  • The first day we got to Dublin, it was the Gay Pride festival. We passed a big party on the way to the hostel, and the girls said, "what's that? It looks like fun." Peter, our driver, said "Tat be the gay pride festival. I don't tink tat's you're scene, girls." Yeah, I don't think so either.
  • Yesterday, we passed by a grandpa wearing a black and white polka dot dress and red heels. He didn't even bother to try and look like a woman. No shaving or anything. Interesting.
  • "Extra Ice" doesn't exist here. Extra ice means 6 cubes instead of 4.
  • The bathrooms at McDonald's have unisex hand washing stations. It's kind of awkward.
  • Short shorts and tights are on the rage here in the UK.
  • Diapers = Nappies. So... Nappy Changing Station. NAPPY!!
  • It seems the UK people have caught on to the whole "Deodorant is a good thing" movement, but other foreigners have not. You'll pass by someone, or sit by them on the tube, and it's like a punch in the nose. Stanky.

Awesome:

  • How incredibly nice the McDonald's are here. It's fancy and clean and I love it. This makes it sound like I go to McDonald's all the time. Which is partly true. We usually get some DC's on the run, but we've only eaten there twice. I just felt the need to explain myself. Moving on.
  • Every single bathroom stall I have seen has been crack-less. Meaning, when you shut the door, you can't see out of any cracks. A blessing.
  • I usually get ice cream nearly every where we go. And you know what? Every time it is delish. And you know what else? I don't feel bad about it. Because we walk our little hineys off all day every day. P.S, if you haven't had a Magnum bar yet... who are you? Get one now!
  • Student discounts are our best friends. 
  • Paris in 10 days :)


No comments:

Post a Comment