August 1, 2011

Great Scotland

Alright people. I only have 5 days left on this study abroad and I can't believe it! But the adventure will continue, because my parents will be here on Thursday, then we'll be going back to London then to Paris. I can't wait to see them and show them around London (and transfer some stuff out of my way-to-heavy suitcase into theirs).

We spent one day in the Lake District (Ambleside mostly, but our hostel was in Hawkshead) and I can definitely say it was not enough time. In fact, I think I could spend an entire summer there... swimming, jet skiing, and boating all day long. The whole area was so charming and beautiful.

View from Hostel
On Saturday, we went to Beatrix Potter's home (I almost wrote Bellatrix Potter, haha). It was a tiny little cottage and was decorated so cute.

The gardens


Lake Windermere
I was a little disappointed that this was the only thing we were seeing in the Lake District, but we had a 7 hour drive ahead of us, so we had to get going.

It was one long drive, I tell you. But we made it to Edinburgh. Our hostel was really nice, with six of us in one room and our own toilet and shower! Woo! No one was up for anything after we ate, so we all chilled and went to bed.

On Sunday, we went to the Edinburgh ward. During the talks and the lessons, I kept thinking, are these people speaking English? The Scottish accent is so strong! I keep finding myself smiling and nodding, hoping people aren't asking for more than a 'yes or no' question (when the blank stare and repeat of the question happens, that's when I know I'm screwed). After church and a little break, we went to Arthur's Seat. It was where the nation of Scotland was dedicated for preaching the gospel. We thought it would be a nice little walk, but it was pretty much a mountain. We weren't prepared in our jeans and toms with no water, so we only went part-way. We still got a beautiful view of the city of Edinburgh, though!

The mountain was behind this little hill


Edinburgh
Today, we left our hostel and drove to Iverness. Familiar? Yup, it's the location of Lake Loch Ness. It was another long drive, so we only did one thing- Culloden- the location of the Battle of Culloden, the final battle in 1745 Jacobite rising. We got to view the museum and even walk around the battlefield.

Well, I guess you've noticed that I'm not in any of these pictures... sorry mom. But long travel days = poop hair, clothes, etc. BUT, tomorrow we'll be going to Loch Ness! Maybe we'll get a view of Ol' Nessie. "Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally." If anyone can guess this quote, I'll be your bff. (Napoleon Dynamite, peeps)




Music time. I've just discovered a new band (seriously just found them 30 minutes ago), and I'm excited to share them with you. They're called Bombay Bicycle Club, and I'm loving their sound. Here's Ivy and Gold. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! Baby girl!! I can't wait to see you!!!! I miss you!
    Goodness gracious! The pictures are beautiful!!!!! I don't care what your hair looks like!! I wanna see you too!!!
    I can't wait!!
    Love you TONS!!! I can't stand it!!

    ReplyDelete