November 12, 2012

Nickel Sized Hail


Hello People!
Ok, well another week has come and gone and here I am in this smelly game den again with smelly preteen boys playing video games once again. My how time flies.

- So Hermana Carson and Vawdrey are with us once again!! Turns out their neighbor is pretty crazy and yells at them a lot!  I know, I've witnessed it.  She's not all there.... so they're working on moving to another apartment. In the meantime... it's just like old times. WOOO I'm super happy!!!!!

- On Thursday, it rained SO HARD. We were doing weekly planning in the house and it was just SO HOT. Like 95 degrees. So hot, that the power went out. No more sticking my head in the freezer... !!! We were stuck in the house until about 5pm because a guy was putting in more enchufes... plugs. Wait. Is it plugs? I think so... anyway! So he was in and out all day getting stuff,  so we couldn't leave. When we finally did, it had just started raining. By the time we got halfway to our cita, it was POURING super hard. Hna Batista doesn't have an umbrella so we were using mine. We were literally walking in a muddy river. Then it started to hail nickel sized hail thingies. We were walking huddled under the umbrella and Hna Batista was freaking out! Hermana! This is dangerous! Cover your face! And I was just laughing my head off. Saying THIS IS MY LIFE! I´M PROSELYTING IN ARGENTINA IN A HAIL STORM! IS THIS REAL LIFE??? As you can see, I thought it was quite hilarious. We made it to our cita, soaking wet with red marks on our arms, only to have our district leader call us 10 minutes later saying that we need to go back home. Darn! So we did, soaked and muddy. Well, we're alive. 

 The rain brought a swarm of mosquitoes. I can put on all the protector that I want but they still get me. The mosquitoes have been so bad that trucks have been passing through the streets fumigating. It´s quite the adventure contacting when once you stop moving, 10000 mosquitoes start landing on you. On Saturday night, we were talking to this man on his porch and when I wasn't teaching or testifying, my eye was out for mosquitoes. My companion was testifying with all her heart and I seriously was slapping myself all over, then THREE landed on my companion's arm, so being the great companion that I am, I slapped them dead. Well, the man started laughing, and so did my companion... and I just stood there feeling dumb. Spirit= gone. BUT, this man has interest... his name is Luis.

- We had a zone conference this week, just a mini one... an emergency one because our numbers have been so low right now  in the mission. It's pretty sad but everyone has been pretty desanimado(**discouraged), including me. We haven't been finding people who want to progress, our investigators are all becoming flojos(**lazy) and it has just been really frustrating. We talked about how we need to be exactly obedient and work a lot harder. I took the info to heart and we were able to find double the investigators that we usually do. We were more focused and unified. We found an x Jehovah's Witness who has a LOT of promise, as well as people who have already been to church a few times that weren't in the area book. We also got a text from Gabriella that destroyed me. She and her very Catholic husband had problems and he doesn't want her to meet with us any more. My heart literally broke. It's so sad when things like this happen and there´s not much I can do about it,  but pray. But I´m thankful for my companion, who is seriously amazing and has so much faith and animo(*encouragement). She doesn't need to be trained! 
- Well, after my soul felt like it was literally destroyed and I wanted to shout to the heavens "how long are you going to try my faith??" I found some really great scriptures that comforted me this week. Funny how that happens. First one is in Alma 26: 27-28 "27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. 28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God." THIS IS ME!!  The Lord is telling me to be patient in my afflictions, then he will bless me with success. Next: D y C 31 "1 Thomas (Cydnee) , my son(daughter), blessed are you because of your faith in my work.
 2 Behold, you have had many afflictions because of your family; nevertheless, I will bless you and your family, yea, your little ones; and the day cometh that they will believe and know the truth and be one with you in my church. 3 Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation.4 You shall declare the things which have been revealed to my servant, Joseph Smith, Jun. You shall begin to preach from this time forth, yea, to reap in the field which is white already to be burned. 5 Therefore, athrust in your sickle with all your soul, and your sins are forgiven you, and you shall be laden with sheaves upon your back, for the laborer is worthy of his hire. Wherefore, your family shall live. 6 Behold, verily I say unto you, go from them only for a little time, and declare my word, and I will prepare a place for them. 7 Yea, I will open the hearts of the people, and they will receive you. And I will establish a church by your hand;8 And you shall strengthen them and prepare them against the time when they shall be gathered. 9 Be patient in afflictions, revile not against those that revile. Govern your house in meekness, and be steadfast.11 Go your way whithersoever I will, and it shall be given you by the Comforter what you shall do and whither you shall go.12 Pray always, lest you enter into temptation and lose your reward. 13 Be faithful unto the end, and lo, I am with you. These words are not of man nor of men, but of me, even Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, by the will of the Father. Amen." There it is again. . Be patient in thine afflictions. I love the promise the Lord gives... that He will open the heart of the people here in Argentina for me. I know if I do my part, He will do the rest. 
-Shoutouts: OK Tyler and Ashley, I was showing a pic of Lucas to my roomies and they said he looks like Jack from The Incredibles. IT'S TRUE!! Love it! 
Happy birthday to Julie and Tia Alice! Hope you have great days this week!
Listen everyone. I LOVE YOU ALL DEARLY. Thank you for your love and support. Don't get too cold this winter :) hee hee hee..

Hermana Squire

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, that's some big hail! I love the updates from Hermana Squire!

    ReplyDelete